Deacon James Linkenheld of the Diocese of the Rockford shares his thoughts on penances in our everyday lives.
- Pause for a brief moment to recall once again the purpose of Lent and of this retreat: To dive deeper into Our Lord’s open heart!
- Have you been aware of how God is working in and through your Lenten penances? Have you actually allowed God to work through them?
- What penances are present in your life that you didn’t plan on and that you might not have asked for yourself? How is Christ seeking and encountering you in and through them?
- How is God calling you to grow in your specific circumstances? How is God inviting you to draw upon His strength in the midst of these everyday things?
- Ponder this thought: “Don’t let any go fruitless.” Have you allowed each and every hardship in your life to be handed over to God so that he can transform them?
- Honestly ask yourself: “How have I grown so far through this Lent?” Take stock of if the things you are doing are drawing you closer to God: If they are keep going (this doesn’t mean that you have to be doing the perfectly – just making a heartfelt effort) but if they aren’t leading you closer to Christ perhaps it is time to prayerful ask God what else He may be asking you to do to draw closer to Him.